Reusing excess Heat/Cold in a profitable way
EMB3Rs* is an EU-funded project aimed at developing an excess HC (Heat/Cold) (re)use matching platform for industry and end users.
The EMB3Rs platform will allow users to determine the costs and benefits related to excess HC utilisation routes, and to establish the conditions for implementing the most promising solutions. It offers industrial users and other stakeholders an intuitive self-use tool for assessing the feasibility of new technology and exploring business scenarios. This will benefit each individual producer or consumer in a given industrial community but will also deliver win-win solutions between different industries.
16 companies and institutes from across Europe have joined forces to help energy-intensive processes to improve their energy performance. Seven case-studies will deliver data for designing and validating the platform. The project kicked off in September 2019 and will last for three years.
* EMB3Rs stands for “User-driven Energy-Matching & Business Prospection Tool for Industrial Excess Heat/Cold Reduction, Recovery and Redistribution.
The five key messages of EMB3Rs
– Easy matching between sources and sinks for residual heat and cold (HC)
– Identification of economically viable business cases for the use of residual HC
– Optimisation of techno-economic parameters of proposed solutions
– Additional info (e.g. on existing infrastructure, legal and administrative framework…)
– Lower energy costs, improved competitiveness and reduced environmental impacts